This month's IronCupcake challenge was coffee. I never submitted a recipe, but I did create a cupcake & icing combo that worked really well. I'd say these are my best cupcakes to date.
Vanilla bean cupcakes with Nutella frosting!!
Here are the recipes:
Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
* 1 vanilla bean
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup butter
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (good quality)
* 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 & 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
* 3/4 cup milk
0. Two days prior to making cupcakes, slice the vanilla bean open & scrape out all of the seeds. Keep the seeds in an airtight container, & place the bean in the 1 cup of sugar in another airtight container.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter and vanilla seeds. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake 30 minutes - Makes 12 cupcakes.
* 1 cup confectioners sugar
* 1 cup Nutella
* 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 1/4 cup heavy cream
* <1/4 cup brewed coffee
Place the confectioners sugar, Nutella, butter, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work. Put cream into a 1/3 cup measuring cup & add enough coffee to fill the cup. Add the cream mixture and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.
3 months ago